Here at BeBox we trust that you can implement some of these simple steps to truly optimise your time in the box. This can feel like a new experience for some so please read and use the self-care guides below.
BEFORE YOUR SESSION
Food and drink
- Be sure to hydrate before you come. Sip water regularly rather than drink a lot so your bladder is relaxed. Dehydration can be common in meditation classes.
- For optimal experience avoid eating and drinking coffee or sugary drinks an hour before.
- No food or drink should be consumed in the space but feel free to order a drink at the café for after your session as meditation can be dehydrating.
Wear comfortable clothing
- You do not need to change before you come but for an optimal experience wear loose clothing so you are fully relaxed.
Arrive in good time
- Aim to arrive 5 minutes before your session. Your session is automated and will start on time. We have designed in a two-minute settling time in the space before your session commences. For example, if your session starts at 11:30, there will be a period of settling from 11:28.
- To arrive mid-session could be unsettling as the opening few minutes are designed to take you into the experience.
Come with intention
- Always set an intention for why you are coming to use BeBox. Is there an underlying issue or something you want to mediate on and find insight on? This will guide you into the deeper use of meditation.
- “My intention to come and meditate today is…”.
DURING YOUR SESSION
Settle into the space and breathe
- Switch off your phone / tech.
- Put your shoes behind you with your belongings and tech.
- Close the door.
Be comfortable in your seating
- Stool: There is a stool for sitting. We recommend this if you are first time at the box. It also provides the fullest immersion into the light and sound experience.
- Cushion: If you prefer being closer to the floor then use the black round cushions provided. Try out different postures – sit cross legged on one cushion; or kneel on a stack of two with the cushions supporting your pelvic area and bottom between your legs.
- Floor: If you feel more comfortable lying down, feel free to do so.
Lighting & sounds
- The light is designed to be gentle on your eyes and the space might feel low in lighting at the beginning. Know that your eyes will adjust to the darker lower light as you begin the experience.
- Always feel free to open and close your eyes at any time. In BeBox both are good for you. For the more experienced meditator, eyes closed will bring optimal time for exploration of the inner world.
- Sounds are designed at low frequency which means that sometimes they can feel very deep in vibration, sometimes the vibration can feel intense. This is normal.
- When we meditate we relax our mental and physical system but we also awaken other parts of our brain. You might experience and feel new sensations thoughts and feelings. This is very normal.
- The key is to take two minutes on our stool outside to land and integrate when you exit your session.
- If you feel more distressed. Take yourself out of the space to the seat. And take 5 very deep breaths to regulate your breathing. If this doesn’t work, speak to an assistant.
AFTER YOUR SESSION
- Use the seating outside the space to adjust and reflect for a few minutes.
- It is helpful for your eyes to get used to the brighter light and to integrate your experience before you go back into your day.
- The key here is to focus on landing and grounding. Take a moment to reflect on your experience and how you are feeling now.
If you feel relaxed
- If you are feeling very relaxed your energy will pick up again if you need to get on with your day. If you want to wake up your energy more just gently tap different parts of your legs and arms and gently rub around your face.
If you are feeling unsettled
- If you are feeling unsettled, sit with your feet flat on the ground and focus your breathing. Take 5 deep breaths into the body and count them. Breathe through the nose and out through the nostrils.
- With both palms of your hands, gently tap along your legs down to your feet and back up again all the way to your head. This gentle tapping will feel the grounding and the vibration helps you come back into the space.
- Always drink tea or water as soon as you can after sessions. This will rehydrate and calibrate you. Hot tea is good if you are feeling more sensations in the body.
- Gratitude is a science. It lets you shift into a positive creative state of mind. So, as you step back out into the world, find one thing that you are grateful for and see how it.
Walk gently out into the street. Feel each foot step as you go. Take a few breaths of good fresh air. Walk slowly until you feel you can pick up normal speed.